Sunday, July 24, 2011

Wrinkled

Culture Fact:

In Nicaragua dressing for work is a big deal. You wear your nicest clothes. You iron your clothes until there isn't a wrinkle to be found. If you don't have an ironing board, any board will do. For example, a cutting board will do you just fine. Then it gets exciting. You jump on a bus that takes you a half hour to work. You join the 70 other people who are riding a bus with a capacity for 40. Its hot and dirty. Then you get off the bus, fix your skirt and smooth out the wrinkles, and walk in to work looking great.

I unpacked some of my clothes earlier this week. Only about four of my shirts were in such a state that I could wear them in public. I finished unpacking today. My clothes are so wrinkly I would be embarrassed going to Walmart wearing them. So I borrowed my friend's iron and ironing board and dragged them over to my apartment and got to work. One hour later, I still have a lot of work to do. Did I mention the iron fell over and I burned a hole in the ironing board cover?


Apartment update:
I now have a refrigerator and stove!


My kitchen

My apartment!
xoxoxoxo

2 comments: