Saturday, August 9, 2014

New School Year, New Job

For the first time in my teaching career I am starting the new school year not as a 4th grade teacher, but as a librarian.

This is a huge change for me. I thought I would teach 4th grade forever. However, when I heard last year that my school would be building a new library, I knew I wanted to jump into this role. The new school year has started, and here I am. Miss Eberly, the librarian.


Although our new library isn't built yet, I will be spending the next couple of months teaching in the old library and helping our school transition into our new space.

Am I excited? That would be an understatement. I get to teach library skills, books, authors, and the love of reading to preschoolers all the way up to high school. I get to put good books into the hands of students who need them. I get to collaborate with teachers. I get to teach all of my students from previous classes. I get to be there when our new building is ready and help bring a whole new library program to our school. I am not sure if I have ever been more excited for the first day of school.

Until all the fun begins, here are some pictures of our current library. A lot of rearranging happened this week as I tried to make our old space feel new.

The view when you walk in the door

The view when you turn to the right
The nonfiction wall

All of my classroom "friends" came to the library with me. 


There are certainly many more changes that I want to make in this current library, but those things will happen over the next couple of weeks. For now I need to focus on lesson planning and getting all of our new books processed and into the the hands of our many students.

Last night at Open House. Can't wait to start reading with my students! 


4 comments:

  1. How exciting! I can hardly wait to follow you through the year with this new adventure. God's mercies and blessings be yours.
    Love,
    Marylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. why do you look like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, you love challenges and this project will truly be one. You have such enthusiasm and that will rub off on students and teachers, alike. Is here anything that I can do to help... like donate to special fund, etc. Please advise. Glad you could go to Omaha this summer. Would love to have made a coffee date. I am still in Estes Park. Will go home on Sept. 23 . It is chilly here at night and in the morning already.
    Lots of love to you,
    Sharon Struve

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not very often I get to see you in a dress! May I say, "You look fabulous dawling" :) Love you cousin and keep us posted; your excitement is infectious!

    ReplyDelete