Saturday, May 31, 2014

Hangin' with the Preschoolers


The craziness that happened at Pizza Hut was thankfully no indication of what went on during our field trip earlier that day.

We spent the morning at a tiny preschool. The school has zero supplies. No crayons, no paper, no anything.
The three teachers teach for love and don't receive a penny for their work.
The school is supposed to receive money from the government so it can run like a proper school, but none of the money ever makes it into their hands.
During the earthquake last month the school was damaged. A big tree on the side of the building was shifted during the quake. The tree's huge roots also moved, causing some of the foundation and a part of the wall to crumble.


I am pretty sure the forty little preschoolers were a little scared as my big fourth graders filled up the room. I was a little nervous too. I planned the field trip, but my students were in charge of running it. Letting 10 year olds run anything is always a little nerve racking. There was no need for me to be worried, because the majority of my students went about the next two hours like they were born to do it.

Two of my students taught the Bible story to the whole group of preschoolers and their 4th grade peers. One student immediately transformed into a preacher. He preached the story of Jesus healing the blind man. He had actions. He had the phrases. He had the emotion and the conviction and the charisma that makes you want to listen to him.  I was standing in the back with my mouth hanging open. His partner was a little teacher in training. As they co-taught the story, she guided the little preschoolers, asked important questions, and chose students to do a hands-on activity. I know where both of them will be in 15 years - teaching and leading others.



At the end of our day, they got up and prayed for the preschoolers and the school without my prompting. It was beautiful and from their heart.


Another part of our morning was spent in small groups. The 4th graders helped the preschoolers act out the story and do an activity. My class quickly learned that 4 year olds need a LOT of prompting.


We sat down at the tables later to do some coloring and cutting for our craft.


After the preschoolers left, we helped clean up the school and gave them the supplies that we brought.


I loved this field trip for many reasons.
1) My students owned it. Students need responsibility, and they thrive when you give it to them.
2) Serving others is good for the heart. Knowing we left enough supplies for the school to use for many months was a blessing to their school and ours. It is good to give.
3) My students were able to see a school that is very different from their own. They know they are blessed to attend the school they do.
4) We shared the love of Jesus and made some new little friends!

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful! That brought tears to my eyes. What a great bunch of studdnts. You have taught them well. Blessings, Marylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    I think this is one my favorite blogs. What an experience you all had. Warmed my heart, too. See you in 6 days. We all want to know . . . do we have to post our schedules again on the basement door this summer? I bet we do!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete