Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Teachers Need to Teach

One week of no school due to earthquake alerts was a stretching time for me. I learned new computer skills to better communicate with my students from a distance. I made a fool of myself making learning videos to send to my students that explained fraction concepts and promoted new books. Some new presentation methods were added to my repertoire of teaching skills thanks to some professional development. All in all, I enjoy learning new things, so this was a good experience.
Getting ready for our Origami Yoda Book Talk video 
Two weeks of no school due to earthquake alerts was difficult. I wanted to see my students. I was worried we would get behind in our studies. I had some major curriculum units I wanted to do, and knew I needed more time to do them.

THREE WEEKS of no school due to earthquake alerts was maddening. I felt like I lost my purpose. I wanted to teach; no, I needed to teach. Being in the classroom and teaching math and watching my students learn something new was where I wanted to be. I had a strong urge to read a picture book to someone, but no one to read it to. It was during this week that things started to get out of hand, at least for some of us teachers.

We sat around and made origami puppets. And not for a video for my students, but just to do something constructive. I cooked actual food. Some friends and I read a story out loud, round-robin style. We made a schedule just to remind ourselves to eat vegetables. Our normal routines were gone and we didn't know what to do. Hear me when I say this: TEACHERS NEED TO TEACH. We go crazy if we don't.

Thankfully, we are back to school this week.


We are back, and we are happy.

To say that I am extra thankful for schools right now would be an understatement. I am thankful to be a teacher. I am thankful for my twenty-three students and the three weeks that are left of school. I am thankful for this country even though I don't always understand it. And I am thankful God put me here.

I am thankful my identity is in Christ, and not in what I do. This is one I forgot about a time or two last week; however, I know my identity and purpose are ultimately found in him. Not in teaching, or my students, or anything I do here. It's Jesus, always Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Can't imagine not doing your "calling", but then it does help one put things back into perspective, doesn't it? And you got it right, "Jesus, always Jesus." Glad all is well and you are back to finish the school year. How do you last the summer without teaching? Looking forward to seeing you soon.
    Love to you,
    Marylee

    ReplyDelete