Saturday, January 21, 2012

Teeth & Tears

Last week was multiplication week. Before my students could enter or leave my classroom they would have to correctly answer a multiplication fact. Friday was the big day - the oral multiplication fact test. I told the 3rd grade teacher about it, who told me they were going to begin basic multiplication soon. So in class the next day she warned her students that next year they would have to know all their multiplication facts because Miss Eberly was going to give them a big test. One of the students burst into tears! This is the first time I have ever made a student cry - and a future student at that. Yikes. Hopefully they will start practicing this weekend... 



My fourth graders kept it equally entertaining this week.
Thursday's morning journal prompt: "How many teeth have you lost?"
One student's answer: "I hate teeth. You have to wash them." 

I have a prayer request: 
The second week in February the 4th - 6th graders are going on an over night retreat. Our theme is the Amazing Race and we will be talking about Hebrews 12: 1-3.  
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
The other two teachers and I are new to NCA so we have never led this retreat before. We will have challenges like on the show the Amazing Race that will push the students and encourage team work, but our overall goal is for them to grow spiritually. I will keep you update as the retreat approaches. Also, if you have any great ideas about what challenges we should do, please pass them on. Thank you!

Time for me to get on with my Saturday night (aka grading papers). 

xoxoxoxo
Laura

1 comment: