Saturday, August 20, 2011

Two Things

Two VERY exciting things happened this week:
1) Donuts
2) A warm shower

In other news, week two of school is over. This week involved parent meetings, trips to the principal's office, and some meltdowns (from the students, not me). Now you understand why I listed donuts above. Please be praying for me this week as I work with my students.

I really wanted to show you all a picture of my students, but I don't have a good one yet. Next week!

Today the NCA leadership took us on a historical tour of Nicaragua.

The old cathedral in Nicaragua. Used to be in the busy downtown area. Destroyed in the earthquake of 1972, it is now condemned after restoration attempts. Managua used to be known as the Golden City of Central America. It enjoyed years of prosperity and business with many countries. That one earthquake changed the city and it has still not recovered. At school we practice earthquake drills, instead of fire drills, tornado drills, and lock down drills. If there is even a small tremor during the day, parents call worried to the school, because they have seen the destruction of the '72 earthquake.


Me, Erin, and Sarah at the top of Lake Tiscapa. I went ziplining over that many years ago... now you couldn't pay me to do it...

To the left is the elementary principal and her husband. In the back right you can see the director of the school.


 
This is the city of Granada, the oldest colonized city in all the Americas.




  
We took a boat tour of some islands on Lake Nicaragua. The islands were formed when a volcano erupted many years ago. Another cool fact: Lake Nicaragua is the only fresh water lake to have sharks.    




A monkey on one of the islands. A vet owns the islands and takes care of the four spiders monkeys living there.

All the islands are private and are owned by retired North Americans or millionaire Nicaraguans.


Time for me to head to bed.
xoxoxo



2 comments: