Thursday, August 11, 2011

In Session

School is in session and I have lived to tell about it. I know a lot of you have been praying for me - thank you!

The first couple of days are always a little crazy as students are trying to figure everything out and remember how to use their brains for seven hours. The summer slide has been revealed, not to mention the English slide for many of my Spanish speaking students. I received sixteen blank stares during our first discussion on place value (a review concept). More blank stares about the phrase "quiet in line". Now that it is almost the end of the week, my students are waking up and a routine is being established.

Many of you have been asking about the background of my students. The majority are Nicaraguans. One is from Australia, three are from the States, and one is from Mexico. Most of them have been in Nicaragua a long time and are near bilingual. Some need extra help with English, others with Spanish.

_____

Last Sunday we went to Pochomil Beach for our church service. We sat under a hut thing and had communion and worship. Afterwards we swam and my roommate and I rode some ponies! Check us out!




xoxoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. You, my neighbor, are finally living the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a pretty flower and a diverse class.

    Becca Lidgett

    ReplyDelete