Sunday, October 21, 2012

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas

We are having a U.S. geography unit in 4th grade Social Studies.
You know what that means - we are memorizing the States and capitals. Sounds fun, right? Alright, of course it isn't. I am trying my best, though. At parent-teacher conferences one mom thanked me for making the capitals fun. Not sure how I pulled that off, but apparently the student went home pretty stoked about memorizing all fifty of them. That is the kind of enthusiasm I like!

Unfortunately, not all the students are as excited about it. Let's be honest, though. Most of my students have never lived in the U.S., therefore they lack a lot of background knowledge. Those who have traveled to the U.S. know the states most foreigners know: California, Texas, New York, and Florida. If they haven't been to a particular state, they have nothing to connect it to in their mind, and it makes it harder to learn. All of these factors have led to some hilarious quiz answers. I broke the U.S. into regions and we have been working on it region by region, resulting in mini-quizzes that we take almost every day.

I have learned some interesting things from these quizzes.

  • Paris and Miami are both states in the U.S.
  • North and South Carolina are actually North and South America
  • Louisiana's capital is Louisiannapolis 
  • Wisconsin has had a name change:

Oh, how they make me laugh. 


No comments:

Post a Comment