Sunday, October 9, 2011

Report Cards

Report card time is upon us. Video games, groundings, and extra privileges hang in the balance, filling students with either excitement or extreme apprehension.

On the report cards there is also a conduct section. If only there was room to give some examples of specific classroom behavior I see in my class:
  • Earlier this week I was writing a math problem on the board. When I turned back around to ask my students a question, I noticed that one of my students was lying on their chair on their stomach, with both their head and feet touching the floor on either side. When I asked him what exactly he was doing, he gave me a look like I talked to him in Japanese and told me he didn't actually know. That made two of us. 
  • During the middle of some student presentations, I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned to see one of my students hiding behind a pole, peeking around it like they were a super spy with a pretend gun in their hands. He ducked in and out, squatted down, and even covered his head. He forgot about my existence and didn't notice me until I was a couple of inches away from him.
  • We have chapel every Wednesday with the 3rd - 6th graders. I sit strategically behind a couple of my extra-energy kids to keep and eye on them. During the middle of chapel, one of my students mentally left school and must have landed at a dance party, because the next thing I knew, he was doing the Macarena, complete with all the movements, right there in chapel.
Yep, those are my kids. It is hard to account for those moments on their report cards, so maybe I will just let them be fourth grade secrets.

If you have time this week, please pray for my first ever parent-teacher conferences. Thank you!

xoxoxoxo
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment