Sunday, October 16, 2011

Rain Rain Go Away

Something weird happened this week:

My students came to school wearing jackets. We didn't turn on the classroom fans or open the windows. I wore long sleeves and wasn't hot or uncomfortable. The temperatures were in the -gasp!- upper seventies/lower eighties. 

Storms and hurricanes blowing over Mexico and other parts of Central America have brought almost a week of constant raining to Nicaragua. With it came a cool breeze and only tiny hints of the sun here and there. Yesterday for lunch my roommates and I had grilled cheese, tomato soup, and apple cider - we almost felt like it was fall. 

The rain does bring some issues. For example, my shoes are always wet and my clothes have been hanging on the clothesline for almost a week and still aren't dry (I am sure they have the very pleasant musty smell right now). The rains bring actual problems besides minor personal inconveniences. Some parts of the country have seen flooding, landslides, and a collapsed bridge. Guatemala and Mexico have experienced a lot of damage as well.  I am thankful to live in a sturdy apartment on a paved road when many around me do not. Please pray for protection for those living in places where the rains cause much damage.

My classroom has also experienced a little flooding action. 

Because the field at school is muddy, my students have been deprived of playing soccer for ONE WHOLE WEEK. Who knew they could last so long?

xoxoxoxo
Laura

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhhh raaaaaain...In Nicaragua. Good times to be sure. I'm glad you got a "little" feel for fall!! Keep up the posts, I love reading 'em!

    ReplyDelete