Saturday, November 5, 2016

Waiting for the Next Book

In the land of school libraries, book series are both the best and the worst thing.

When you finish a book you love and immediately get to pick up the next book in the same series, they are the best thing. The book characters, who have of course become your new best friends, get to continue their adventures right where they left them off, and you get to join in for the ride once again. Cliffhangers are resolved, and you can rest knowing that all your questions from the previous book will soon be revealed.

When you finish a book you love, and realize the next book in the series is checked out from the library, series are the worst thing. Your heart is broken as you are left in book limbo. You turn into an obsessive library stalker. You pretend to casually walk into the library, innocently browsing the shelves. What started as a "casual visit" turns into a desperate questioning session with the librarian.

"Is MY book here yet?" 

"Who has it checked out? Haven't they gone over the due date yet?"

"Are you sure the book isn't here? When was the last time you saw it?"

I admit that as the librarian, I find these scenarios slightly funny, as well as a little heartbreaking. I love that my students can be so passionate about books. I love their reactions and the way they try (and fail) to play it cool when their book isn't available.

A little while back I had a high school student come in every single day for three weeks, desperately looking for the fourth and final book in one of his favorite book series. Every day I turned him away, empty-handed. Finally, finally, I handed him The Book when he walked in. He fell to his knees, shook his fists in the air in victory, and then happily took the book from me.

A few days later a younger student came into the library after about a week of rejection. I handed him the book he was waiting for, and he took it without a smile. As soon as I checked out the book for him, he sprinted toward the door of the library, jumped in the air, clicked his heels together, and let out a little yes! I still laugh thinking back on it.

If only my students knew how I reacted when I finally get the book I am waiting impatiently for ...





3 comments:

  1. There was a new Babysitters Club book?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute story and good post from you. Great post to kill spare time. Keep posting like this.
    Must try this Death Driving

    ReplyDelete