Saturday, May 9, 2015

Teacher Exchange

There are three NCA schools in Nicaragua. I work at the international, primarily English-speaking campus. Our two sister schools operate in Spanish. One is located a few kilometers from my school, the other is a 2-3 hour car ride up into the mountains. To promote unity and to better learn from one another, some of the teachers from each school are participating in teacher exchanges. 

I recently hosted the librarian from NCA Nejapa. We spent the day talking about how we run our libraries, which websites are useful teaching tools, classroom management, how to create effective lessons for older students, and how to promote the love of reading in our schools. She interacted with my students and watched me teach a 1st grade library lesson. 

A couple of days later I spent the day at her library. I watched her teach a 1st grade, 4th grade, and 6th grade lesson. 

There is a huge difference between the amount and quality of resources at my school and most schools in the States. However, there is an even bigger difference between Nejapa's library and other libraries. Due to their lack of resources, students can't check out books from the Nejapa library. Even so, the librarian presented fun lessons and got the students reading during the short time they visited the library. I loved seeing her excitement for books, reading, and her students. 

Here are some pictures from my visit:
 








Although our schools, teaching styles, and languages are different, we both have the same goals for our students. We plan on keeping in touch throughout the school year and sharing our resources and brilliant ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment