Saturday, February 22, 2014

Baa!

I came across a really cute book a couple of months ago:


The author only uses two different words in the whole book. On every page except the last page, the word moo appears in some form. Punctuation and the facial expressions of the cow clearly explain what is happening in this story.


I thought the story was hilarious, and so did my students. We had to read it twice because once just wasn't enough. After we were done laughing, we discussed the importance of punctuation. They understood that "Moo?" clearly means something different than "MOO!!!"

On the last page of Moo!, the cow blames a sheep for his actions, and the author introduces the second word, baa, to the story. We decided to see if we could create our own stories using David LaRochelle's example and the new sheep character.

Over the next couple of days, my students plotted out their stories, made flip books, and finally wrote and illustrated their own Baa! stories.






On Friday my students presented their stories to the class. Some were a little embarrassed about saying "baa" over and over again in different voices, but once they got started they had us laughing all over again.


I love the sheep in the hammock. I imagine that is the exact sound I would make if I was a sheep swaying back and forth. . .

1 comment:

  1. You don't need to be swaying to sound like a truck. I've heard your snoring.

    ReplyDelete