Sunday, January 26, 2014

Library Expansion

Books.

Reading.

Libraries.

I’m obsessed. It is a known fact and I don’t try to hide it.

The first place I visit when I return to the U.S. for summer and Christmas break? The library. Gotta pick up my 20 books that I put on hold. Last place I visit? The library, to return said twenty books.

Last summer I spent my trip to Boston searching for every library and book-related building (not to mention driving my best friend crazy in the process).

My weekly visit to the pool has nothing to do with swimming, and everything to do with reading in the sun for two hours. 

When I tell people I am busy or have plans, they usually assume it is because I have a date with my book. And they are usually right.

My suitcases are always overweight when I travel, and it is always the fault of the new books I bought for my classroom.

My classroom is centered around books and reading. My students know I am obsessed, and they willingly listen as I retell the plot line of whatever book I'm devouring. They come to me for book suggestions and trust me to put good books in their hands. Whether we are reading a short picture book or a longer novel, we cherish our daily read aloud time together. 

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here and get to the point.

Right now I have even more book excitement than usual.

The reason?

My school is looking to build a new space for our tiny library. This would mean more room for more books. This would mean more than ten students could come into the library at one time without feeling squished. The library could be transformed into something more than just a small room where the books are kept. It would be a room for learning and discovery, where good books are put into the hands of students who need them. For me, as a teacher and book lover, this idea has me buzzing with excitement for the future of our school. More books, more literacy = more learning, more growth.

The idea is there, and now it comes down to raising a lot of money in a short amount of time. I want to share this idea with all of you, and ask you to share it with anyone who you think might be interested in helping us pray or give financially. 

Check out the video to see our current library and to hear our plans for the Library Expansion Project. 



No comments:

Post a Comment