Friday, October 4, 2013

4th Grade Fun

It's October and fall time, although that has little meaning in Nicaragua. It is still rainy season, still hot, and there are still no pumpkin spice lattes. That doesn't stop us from pretending, however. In writing class, we made pumpkins and wrote our mini autobiographies on them. This is a fun one involving the Chinese C.I.A. 



Under the flaps on the pumpkins are each student's name. They have to read the autobiography and guess which of their classmates wrote it. 


This week we just started our big 50 States Unit. Students are doing individual research on each state, and we are memorizing the location of each state and the name of its capital. 


This summer I visited Chimney Rock in Nebraska with my two sisters. At the museum they had a buffalo that I knew my class needed to have. Suzi bought it for me, and Mr. Buffalo made his grand appearance this week to help teach about the regions of the U.S. He instantly gained fame and made his way into some of our grammar practice assignments. 




The best part of 4th grade this week was celebrating Scaredy Squirrel's birthday. 


Normally Scaredy stays up on the shelf because he is too afraid to come down. There are a lot of germs in 4th grade, you know. However, the students convinced him to come down for his birthday party. After we washed our hands, we read his birthday book and whisper-sang Happy Birthday to him. Scaredy received many birthday cards and well wishes, even from my students I had last year. Scaredy is by far the most popular person in 4th grade. 


Gotta love 4th grade! 

2 comments:

  1. Buffy!!! Oh how I miss him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upon further inspection I have determined that Buffy is in my room!!! What a homie he is.

    ReplyDelete