Saturday, February 23, 2013

Snow Day

Omaha got two snow days this week, lots of snow, lots of cold weather.

Nicaragua had heat, dust, wind, lots of sunshine... and also a little snow.

Last year I surprised my students with some fake snow. It was a huge ordeal and they claimed it was one of the highlights of their year.

When I was home for Christmas my dad bought me some more fake snow for my students. It got lost in the shuffle and it never made it back with me. When I went home for the figure skating championships I meant to grab it, but forgot again. Before I left for the skating I told my students that if they behaved for the sub I would bring back the snow with me and we would have a snow party. They were a little disappointed when I arrived back to school empty handed. However, my mom mailed the snow for me, and I promised my students that it was on the way. Just like last year, the students were unsure about how the snow thing was going to work. Was I somehow bringing real snow? Was it going to fall from the sky? Wouldn't it melt in the mail?

The snow arrived in the mail the day before the snow hit Omaha. My mom suggested we have our snow party on the same day as the Omaha snow. Sounded like a great plan to me.

That morning I described the weather situation in Omaha. Some needed a better explanation about what a snow day was. "You mean you don't have to go to school if it snows? LUCKY!"

I brought out the cans of snow and explained how it was going to work. They were unsure that two little cans could produce enough snow for them to have fun with.


We headed outside in the 90 degree weather and watched as the cans produced snow. The snow was pretty impressive. It wasn't too powdery or too wet.

Watching and waiting for the snow to appear
The students each received two handfuls of snow. Most immediately ran inside to put theirs in a bag for safe keeping.




Next came the tough choice: should they throw their snow at each other or keep it? Most thought it would be a good idea to throw snow at their teacher. Who taught them that?


In the end, there was just enough snow left over for me to get a couple of handfuls for myself, and get my snowy revenge on my unsuspecting students.

1 comment:

  1. Necks year, wheel have to get 6-8-10 cans, so you can have a proper snowball fight.

    Just sayin....

    ReplyDelete